Chia is a coastal area in southern Sardinia. With beautiful beaches surrounded by dunes covered with juniper trees and turquoise waters, Chia is very famous among tourists. Chia is famous even among windsurfers and among the kitesurfers that like to kitesurf in one of the great Sardinia Kite Spots: Kitesurfing Chia.
On this page you could find information on:
- Kitesurfing Chia: Kite Spot Description.
- Characteristics of Chia.
- Kitesurfing Lessons in Chia, Sardinia.
- Directions to Chia.
- Kite Spots Near Chia.
The best beach to kitesurf in Chia is Su Giudeu beach.
The beaches of Chia statistically have a very high number of windy days. The best winds for kitesurfing Chia are the Grecale (NE), the Levante (E) and the Scirocco (SE), that usually create great waves.
During the summer, in the sunny and warm days, it blows a thermal wind that is gusty near the beach but enjoyable 50 meters far from the coast. In this season, usually from May to September, Chia is very crowded. That is why for kitesurfing in Chia during the Summer, a boat to launch the kite 200 m away from the beach is needed.
During the winter season, Ponente can give waves of almost 3 meters. Those waves are good for surfers but not for kiters, giving that this wind is offshore.
For all the above reasons, Chia is a Wave Kite Spot for medium or advanced riders, not for beginners.
- Kite Spot Name: Chia.
- Location: Municipality of Domus de Maria, Province of Cagliari, South Sardinia.
- Kite Spot Type: Sandy, Wave.
- Minimum Required Level: intermediate / advanced.
- Best winds: Grecale (NE) – Levante (E) – Scirocco (SE).
- Wind for waves: Grecale (NE) – Levante (E) – Scirocco (SE) .
- Water temperature 15 °C (winter) – 25 °C (summer).
- Wind range 12 – 35 knots.
- Facilities: parking, Bar.
- Things to do: kitesurfing, SUP.
- Distance from the centre of Cagliari: 50 Km.
- Distance from parking: 2-5 min.
In Chia, our Kitesurf Center is not offering kite lessons. The reasons why we are not teaching kitesurf in Chia are:
- the most of the times, to have kite lessons in chia is required a boat to go far from the beach (in the summer because the beaches in Chia are so crowded, other because offshore wind or waves);
- when the wind is onshore (blowing from the sea to the beach), there are often waves that are creating not easy conditions for kite lessons;
- when the wind is offshore (blowing from the beach to the sea), for safety reasons a boar is required; in addition the offshore wind is really gusty.
During the Summer season, from May to September, due to Guard Coast Restrictions, Kitesurfing from the beach is not allowed because the large number of bathers and the lack of kite launch lanes. That is why in the Summer, for Kitesurfing in Chia, a boat to lunch the Kite 200 m far from the coast is needed.
As we saw earlier, the beach of Chia is a Wave Kite Spot. Therefore it is not easy for beginners. If you are a beginner and you like to take Kitesurfing Lessons, you have to consider the possibility to move to another Kite Spot.
Chia is approximately 50 km from the center of Cagliari.
From Cagliari get the S.S. 195 towards Teulada. After Santa Margherita di Pula, far about 42 km from Cagliari, you will find, on the left, the way to Chia.