Fontanamare or Funtanamare (Funtan’e Mari in Sardinian) is a location in the Municipality of Gonnesa, in the south of Sardinia. The area of Funtanamare was once a place of mining, of which some structures and plants are still visible. Today, however, Funtanamare is a famous and renowned beach, one of the largest in Southern Sardinia. The beach of Funtanamare is about 4 km long and is subdivided, by convention, with the names of the access points to the beach: Porto Paglia, Punt’e S’arena, Spiaggia di Mezzo (Middle Beach or Plagemesu in Sardinian) and Fontanamare. Porto Paglia area is a great Surf Spot. The part of Funtanamare instead is a good kite spot with the wind of Mistral (NW). Kitesurfing Funtanamare, another of the best Sardinia Kite Spots.
On this page you could find the following useful information for kitesurfing:
- Kitesurfing Funtanamare: Kite Spot Description.
- Characteristics of Funtanamare.
- Kitesurfing Lessons in Funtanamare, Sardinia.
- Directions to Funtanamare.
- Kite Spots Near Funtanamare.
Wide sandy beach, the Kite Spot of Funtanamare in the south Sardinia is a wave spot especially with the wind of Mistral (NW). This kite spot works even with the wind of Ponente (W) and Libeccio (SW).
Although Funtanamare is a sandy beach, in the first ten or twenty meters of sea bed, there are rocks.
The presence of rocks at about a hundred meters away from the beach create good waves: with 20 knots of Mistral, they can be waves of 2-3 meters.
Even during the summer season, during the strong wind days, Kitesurf in Funtanamare is possible.
Because of the strong water flows, because of the waves and the characteristics of this kite spot, Funtanamare is recommend to advanced kiters only.
- Kite Spot Name: Funtanamare.
- Location: Municipality of Gonnesa, Province of Carbonia Iglesias, South Sardinia.
- Kite Spot Type: Sandy-Rocky, Wave.
- Minimum Required Level: intermediate / advanced.
- Best winds: Mistral (NW) – Ponente (W).
- Wind for waves: Mistral (NW) – Ponente (W)
- Water temperature 15 °C (winter) – 25 °C (summer).
- Wind range 10 – 40 knots.
- Facilities: parking, Bar.
- Things to do: kitesurfing.
- Distance from the centre of Cagliari: 55 Km.
- Distance from parking: <1 min.
As said before, Funtanamare is one of the wave Sardinia kitesurfing spots.
That is why, it is not possible to have kitesurfing Lessons in this kite spot. The best suggestion for the beginners and for people that like to Learn to Kitesurf in Sardinia or improve their kite level is to go to the nearby kite spot of Punta Trettu or in the kite spots around Cagliari (Poetto, Giorgino, Petrol Beach).
From Cagliari get the Strada Statale 130 (SS 130, State Road) to Iglesias. Few kilometers before Iglesias, get the SS 126 till the signs to Funtanamare (approximatly 10 km from the beginning).
Note: After the tunnel pay attention to the autovelox (Speed Cameras).
Coordinates of Funtanamare Kite Beach: 39.289670, 8.437176
Near Funtanamare there are the following Kite Spots of Sardinia:
- The Kite Spots in the Sant’Antioco’s island, practically all for expert riders.
- The Kite Spot of Punta Trettu, perhaps one of the best kite spot of Europe.
- The Kite Spot of Porto Botte.
- The Kite Spot of Porto Pino beach, a really beautiful beach but with almost always gusty winds.