Poetto is the main beautiful beach of Cagliari. It stretches for about eight kilometers, from the Devil’s Saddle (Sella del Diavolo in Italia) up to the margine Rosso (Municipality of Quartu Sant’Elena). Poetto beach attracts many tourists especially in the summer season from June to September that could enjoy even the nice nightlife with live music, discos, dance lessons. In addition to all this, the Poetto beach offers perfect conditions for many sports including Kitesurfing, SUP and sailing. Just think that in this beautiful beach, take place practically every year some kitesurfing Poetto Events e.g., the Kite Foil World Championships.
On this page you could find information on:
- Kitesurfing Poetto Beach, Cagliari: Kite Spot Description.
- Characteristics of Poetto Beach Kite Spot.
- Kite Zone at Poetto Beach.
- Kitesurfing Lessons at Poetto Beach, Cagliari.
- Directions to Poetto Beach.
- Kite Spots Near Cagliari.
Poetto Beach, whose origin of the name derives from the Catalan pohuet (well), in reference to the numerous wells for the rainwater conservation on top of the Devil’s Saddle, is a perfect beach for Kitesurfing.
Being one of the most windy spots in Europe, Poetto Beach has been chosen for several Kitesurfing, Windsurfing and Sailing Championships such as Kite Race World Champioship for Youth and Master, 2012 Kite World Championship.
Kitesurfing at Poetto Beach of Cagliari is funny both for beginners and expert riders.
The most frequent winds at Poetto Beach are the sea breeze, teh Scirocco, the Levante and the Mistral (off-shore wind at Poetto).
Sometimes, when the winds from east (Scirocco and Levante) blow stronger than 30 knots, the spot becomes extreme with waves and for this reason it become suitable only for expert only. In these conditions, beginners could go kiting to the Poetto of Quartu Sant’Elena or to Punta Trettu.
- Kite Spot Name: Poetto Beach of Cagliari.
- Location: Municipality and Province of Cagliari, South Sardinia.
- Kite Spot Type: Sandy, Choppy Water, Waves.
- Minimul Required Level: Beginner.
- Best winds: Scirocco (SE) – Libeccio (SW).
- Wind for waves: Scirocco (SE) – Levante (E).
- Water temperature 15 °C (winter) – 25 °C (summer).
- Wind range 8-35 knots.
- Facilities: parking, Bars.
- Things to do: kitesurfing, SUP, windsurf.
- Distance from the center of Cagliari: 5 Km.
- Distance from parking: < 1 minute.
Poetto Beach is generally divided in several bus stops (“fermate” in italian) to identity the various stretches of the beach.
The most popular bus stop for Kitesurfing at Poetto beach is the sixth stop, in front of the Il Nilo kiosk bar. Here, at the sixth bus stop, the beach is very wide and there are big spaces to set the equipment, there is a large parking just in front of the beach and the wind is almost always great.
As previously said, Poetto Beach, the main Beach of Cagliari is one of the most popular Sardinia kitesurfing spots . Here at Poetto Beach, KiteGeneration Kiteschool offers kitesurfing Lessons usually from September to May. In the months of June, July, August, when Poetto Beach is really crowed, Kite surfing lessons take place in different Sardinia Kitesurfing Beaches i.e. Giorgino Kite Beach, Petrol Beach, Punta Trettu.
From the center of Cagliari, get Viale Diaz till Viale Poetto that lead to the Poetto beach.
Coordinates of Sixth Bus Stop of Poetto Beach: 39.209043, 9.168822
Poetto Beach is one of the most popular Sardinia kitesurfing spot . Close to Poetto Beach there are several kite spots e.g.,:
- The Kite Spot of Quartu Sant’Elena, the continuation of Poetto Beach of Cagliari, much easier that Poetto Beach of Cagliari in case of strong wind.
- Giorgino Kite Beach, the kite spot of Cagliari in the Summer season very good with the thermal wind during the sunny and warm days.
- Petrol Beach, kite spot close to Cagliari perfect with the thermal wind during the months from April to August.
- The Kite Spot of Punta Trettu, perhaps one of the best kite spot of Europe, perfect for beginners with flat shallow water.
- The Kite Spot of Funtanamare, a very good wave spot.
- The Kite Spots of Villasimius, in the south east of Sardinia.