Porto Botte is a wetland located south-west coast of Sardinia, Ideal habitat for many species of birds including flamingos. Part of the Beach of Porto Botte belongs administratively to the Municipality of San Giovanni Suergiu, another part to the Municipality of Giba. Porto Botte has recently become famous as an excellent spot for kitesurfing. This is the reason why Porto Botte is often associated with kitesurfing by many people that, when thinking in Porto Botte, automatically think of kitesurfing Porto Botte.
On this page you could find information on:
- Kitesurf in Porto Botte: description of the kite-spot.
- Kite-zones of Porto Botte.
- Kitesurfing Lessons in Porto Botte, Sardinia.
- Directions to Porto Botte.
- Kite-spots near Porto Botte.
- Kite-spot name: Porto Botte.
- Location: Municipality of San Giovanni Suergiu and Municipality of Giba, Province of Carbonia Iglesias, South Sardinia.
- Kite-spot type: sandy, flat-choppy water.
- Minimum required level: Beginner.
- Best winds: Mistral.
- Wind for waves: No Wind for Waves.
- Water temperature 15 °C (winter) – 25 °C (summer).
- Wind range 12-40 knots.
- Facilities: parking, Kite Zone.
- Things to do: kitesurfing, SUP, windsurf.
- Distance from the centre of Cagliari: 90 Km.
- Distance from parking: few minutes.
The kite-spot of Porto Botte is very good with the wind of Mistral (blowing from North-West). The Mistral blows onshore and gives choppy water. The wind of Ponente (blowing from west) can be good. Scrirocco can be good if strong. Other winds are not working well for kitesurfing at Porto Botte.
The kitesurfing spot of Porto Botte is suitable both for advanced riders, that can enjoy the big spaces to try their tricks, and for beginners. Anyway, Punta Trettu is more advisable for beginners. In fact, in the kite-spot of Punta Trettu, beginners could find both flat and shallow water with steady wind: a paradise for kitesurfers.
KiteGeneration is giving Kitesurfing Lessons in Porto Botte just in case of special requests and in case of not favorable weather conditions in Punta Trettu. In fact, given the perfect kite conditions of Punta Trettu, the kitesurfing lessons are usually taken in this fantastic kite-spot of Sardinia.
In the bay of Porto Botte there are three kite-zones for kite surfing. In the kitesurfing spot of Porto Botte, the wind decrease in intensity when moving from the the Northern kite-zone (Il Fortino) to the Southern kitezone (Is Solinas).
The three kitezones of the kite-spot of Porto Botte are:
- Il Fortino (The fort), in the north of the bay, home of Kite Sardinia kiteschool, where there are no swimmers being the area no good for bathing (muddy seabed).
- Porto Botte al Centro (Porto Botte center bay), in the middle of the bay, where usually the Municipality of Giba install, during the summer season, a kite lane.
- Is Solinas, in the south of the bay, the most beautiful part of Porto Botte with a beautiful sandy beach that, in the summer season is, is enough crowed.
Anyway, KiteGeneration is giving Kitesurfing Lessons in Porto Botte just in case of special requests and in case of not favorable weather conditions in Punta Trettu. In fact, given the perfect kite conditions of the kite-spot of Punta Trettu, the kitesurfing lessons are usually taken in this fantastic kite-spot of Sardinia.
From Cagliari get the S.S. 130 to Carbonia then continue to Sant’Antioco till the village of San Giovanni Suergiu. Once in San Giovanni Suergiu, take the road towards Giba, for around 5 Km, till Porto Botte.
Porto Botte is one of the most popular Sardinia kitesurfing spot. Near to the kite-spot of Porto Botte there are:
- The kite-spots of Sant’Antioco, for expert kitesurfers.
- The kite-spot of Punta Trettu, considered one of the best kitesurfing spots of Europe.
- The kite-spot of Funtanamare, wave spot not for beginners.
- The kite-spot of Porto Pino beach, not for beginners (almost always gusty winds).