Porto Botte is a wetland located south-west coast of Sardinia, Ideal habitat for many species of birds including flamingos. The Beach of Porto Botte, owned by the autonomous Region of Sardinia, it belongs administratively to the Municipality of San Giovanni Suergiu and partly to the Municipality of Giba. Porto Botte has recently become famous as an excellent spot for kitesurfing. This is the reason why Porto Botte is often associated with Kitesurfing: Kitesurfing Porto Botte and Porto Botte are therefore now often considered synonyms.
Table of contents
- Kitesurfing Porto Botte: Kite Spot Description.
- Characteristics of Porto Botte Kite Spot.
- Kite Zone Maps of Porto Botte.
- Kitesurfing Lessons in Porto Botte, Sardinia.
- Directions to Porto Botte.
- Kite Spots Near Porto Botte.
The beach of Porto Botte is a wide bay about 2 km, located close to the kite spots of Sant’Antioco and Punta Trettu, is a very good spot for kitesurfing with the wind of Mistral (blowing from North-West).
The best wind for kitesurfing in Porto Botte is the Mistral that blows onshore and gives flat / choppy water. The wind of Ponente (blowing from west) can be good. the other winds are usually not working well for kitesurfing.
Kitesurfing in Porto Botte is suitable both for advanced riders, that can enjoy the big spaces to try their tricks, and for beginners.
KiteGeneration is giving Kitesurfing Lessons in Porto Botte just in case special requests or conditions. In fact, given the perfect kite conditions of Punta Trettu, the kite lessons are usually given in this kite spot of Sardinia.
- Kite Spot Name: Porto Botte.
- Location: Municipality of San Giovanni Suergiu and Municipality of Giba, Province of Carbonia Iglesias, South Sardinia.
- Kite Spot Type: Sandy, Flat / Choppy Water..
- Minimul Required Level: Beginner.
- Best winds: Mistral.
- Wind for waves: No Wind for Waves.
- Water temperature 15 °C (winter) – 25 °C (summer).
- Wind range 12-40 knots.
- Facilities: parking, Kite Zone.
- Things to do: kitesurfing, SUP, windsurf.
- Distance from the centre of Cagliari: 90 Km.
- Distance from parking: few minutes.
In the bay of Porto Botte there are three spots for kite surfing. In this kitesurf spots, the wind decrease when moving from the the Northern kite spot (Il Fortino) to the Southern kite spot (Is Solinas).
The three kite spots of Porto Botte are:
- Il Fortino (The fort), in the north of the bay, home of Kite Sardinia kiteschool, where there are no swimmers being the area no good for bathing (muddy seabed).
- Porto Botte al centro (Porto Botte center bay), in the middle of the bay, where usually the Municipality of Giba install, during the summer season, a kite lane.
- Is Solinas, in the south of the bay, the most beautiful part of Porto Botte with a beautiful sandy beach that, in the summer season is, is enough crowed.
As said before, Porto Botte, in the South-West coast of Sardinia, not far from Punta Trettu and Sant’Antioco, is one of the Sardinia kitesurfing spots where KiteGeneration Kiteschool offers kitesurfing Lessons.
Good conditions for Kitesurfing lessons in Porto Botte can be found with the wind of Mistral, although, the nearby Punta Trettu kite beach is much better for kitesurfing Lessons and especially for beginners..
From Cagliari get the S.S. 130 to Carbonia then continue to Sant’Antioco till the village of San Giovanni Suergiu. Once in San Giovanni Suergiu, continue to Giba direction (for around 5 Km) till Porto Botte.
Here under, the coordinates of the three Kite Spot of Porto Botte.
- Il Fortino coordinates 39.044961, 8.548788
- Porto Botte Center Bay coordinates: 39.036274, 8.572883
- Is Solinas coordinates: 39.023815, 8.576479
Porto Botte is a very good Sardinia kitesurfing spot .
Near Porto Botte there are:
- The Kite Spots in the Sant’Antioco’s island, practically all for expert riders.
- The Kite Spot of Punta Trettu, perhaps one of the best kite spot of Europe.
- The Kite Spot of Funtanamare, a very good wave spot.
- The Kite Spot of Porto Pino beach, a really beautiful beach but with almost always gusty winds.