Punta Trettu is a place located in the south-west of Sardinia, in Italy, in the municipality of San Giovanni Suergiu, exactly in front of the island of Sant’Antioco. Matzaccara is the nearest inhabited center even if, for the most important services, the closest town are San Giovanni Suergiu and Sant’Antioco. Punta Trettu has become famous as one of the best kite spots of Sardinia. This is the reason why Punta Trettu is often associated exclusively with Kitesurfing. Kitesurfing Punta Trettu and Punta Trettu are therefore now commonly considered synonyms.
Punta Trettu is a strip of land surrounded by the sea that point straight (Punta Trettu, this is the origin of the name) to the town of Sant’Antioco.
- Kitesurfing Punta Trettu: Kite Spot Description.
- Characteristics of Punta Trettu Kite Beach.
- Kite Zone Maps of Punta Trettu.
- Kitesurfing Lessons in Punta Trettu, Sardinia.
- Directions to Punta Trettu.
- Kite Spots Near Punta Trettu.
Punta Trettu is considered one of the best Sardinia kitesurfing Spot, probably one of the best of Europe.
Punta Trettu, located close to the kite spots of Sant’Antioco and Porto Botte, is a perfect spot for kitesurfing. In fact, because the shallow water almost everywhere, the water is really flat and the riders can stand up and walk for hundreds meters.
The kite spot of Punta Trettu is considered a lagoon because almost completely surrounded by land. In truth. in Punta Trettu the sea water is current and the flows are created a sea natural channel, that runs along the island of Sant’Antioco, where the boats can navigate.
Punta Trettu is a perfect spot especially for beginners that can learn to kitesurf with the benefits of a really shallow and flat water.
The best winds for kitesurfing in Punta Trettu are the Mistral (blowing from North-West) and the Scirocco (blowing from South-East). Even the strong wind from South work well. The winds from West or South West could be good if they are really strong.
Kitesurfing Punta Trettu gives unique emotions!
- Kite Spot Name: Punta Trettu.
- Location: Municipality of San Giovanni Suergiu, Province of Carbonia Iglesias, South Sardinia.
- Kite Spot Type: Sandy, Flat and Shallow water.
- Minimul Required Level: Beginner.
- Best winds: Mistral and Scirocco.
- Wind for waves: No Wind for Waves.
- Water temperature 15 °C (winter) – 25 °C (summer).
- Wind range 12-40 knots.
- Facilities: parking, Kite Zone.
- Things to do: kitesurfing, SUP.
- Distance from the centre of Cagliari: 85 Km.
- Distance from parking: 10 min.
In Punta Trettu, they have been identified three sea zones:: two kite zones and one zone where is absolutely forbidden to kitesurf.
Although Punta Trettu is a place where there is almost total absence of bathers because of the shallow water, because of the vegetation and the availability of just a little beach, there are some areas where kitesurfing is absolutely forbidden (No-Kite Zones).
People that will kitesurf in the No-Kite Zones, can incur into a huge fine from the sea police or guard coast.
The Zones of Punta Trettu where Kitesurfing is allowed are:
- area dedicated to the schools having kite courses / lessons.
- area dedicated to the independent kiters (intermediate or advanced), not having lessons (in this area be careful that sometimes the water is not so shallow and sometimes is muddy).
To well understand the Kite Zones of Punta Trettu, please refer to the picture and to the video.
The Zones of Punta Trettu where Kitesurfing is not allowed are:
- The natural channel where the boat can navigate.
- The zones of Punta Trettu dedicated to the fishermen where fishermen’s nets are often installed.
As said before, Punta Trettu, in the South-West coast of Sardinia, not far from Porto Botte and Sant’Antioco, is one of the Sardinia kitesurfing spots where KiteGeneration Kiteschool and Kite Punta Trettu Kitesurf School offer kitesurfing Lessons.
Perfect conditions for Kitesurfing lessons in Punta Trettu can be found with the winds of Mistral and Scirocco.
From Cagliari, get the S.S. 130 to Carbonia, then continue to Matzaccara and finally to Punta Trettu.
Here under, the coordinates of the main places of Punta Trettu.
- Punta Trett Parking: 39.118079, 8.439772
- Punta Trettu Kite Beach: 39.112367, 8.437019
- Kite Punta Trettu Kitesurf School: 39.118725, 8.445074
Although Punta Trettu remains perhaps the best Sardinia kitesurfing spot for beginners, in the South West of Sardinia, there are other kitesurfing Spots:
- The Kite Spots in the Sant’Antioco’s island, pratically all for expert riders.
- The Kite Spot of Porto Botte, great with the wind of Mistral that blows side onshore and create a choppy water.
- The Kite Spot of Funtanamare, a very good wave spot.
- The Kite Spot of Porto PIno beach, a really beautiful beach where the winds are almost always gusty.