Punta Trettu , in the South of Sardinia, has become famous as the Best Sardinia Kite Spot and one of the Best Kite Spots in Europe, known allover the world as great kite spot. Popularity of Punta Trettu has grown enormously in the recent years because its perfect conditions for kitesurfing: shallow water, flat water and constant winds. Punta Trettu is a Kite Paradise where kitesurfing is easy and exciting for all levels, from beginners to advanced. This is the reason why Punta Trettu is always associated with Kitesurfing. and “Punta Trettu”, “Kite Punta Trettu”, “Punta Trettu Kitesurf”, “Kitesurfing Punta Trettu Sardinia” are therefore now commonly considered synonyms.
On this post you will find all information and references to kitesurf and enjoy Punta Trettu, one of the the Best Kite Spot with Flat and Shallow Water.
- What does mean and Where is Punta Trettu Sardinia
- Description of Punta Trettu Kite Spot
- Kite Centers in Punta Trettu Sardinia
- Directions to Punta Trettu
- Kite Spots Near Punta Trettu
Punta Trettu is a strip of land surrounded by the sea that point straight (this is the origin of the name Punta Trettu) to the town of Sant’Antioco. Punta Trettu has become famous as the Best Kite Spot of Sardinia and for this reason, when someone talks about Punta Trettu he always means kitesurfing.
Matzaccara is the nearest village to Punta Trettu where it is possible to find mini market, pharmacy and other small shops. For big supermarkets, restaurant,shops. etc, the closest town are San Giovanni Suergiu , Carbonia and Sant’Antioco.
- Kite Spot Name: Punta Trettu Kite Beach.
- Location: Municipality of San Giovanni Suergiu, Province of Carbonia Iglesias, South Sardinia.
- Kite Spot Type: Sandy, Flat and Shallow water.
- Minimum Required Level: Beginner.
- Best winds: Mistral and Scirocco.
- Wind for waves: No Wind for Waves, Flat Water Spot.
- Water temperature: 15 °C (winter) – 25 °C (summer).
- Wind range: 12-40 knots.
- Facilities: Parking, Bar, Accommodations, Kitesurf, Windsurf, Sup, Beach Volley; Kite Zone.
- Distance of the Kite Beach from the center of Cagliari: 85 Km.
- Distance of the Kite Beach from parking: 10 min.
Punta Trettu is considered the best Sardinia kitesurfing Spot, probably one of the best kite spots in Europe.
Located close to the kite spots of Sant’Antioco and Porto Botte, the kite spot of Punta Trettu is considered a lagoon because it is almost completely surrounded by land. In truth. in Punta Trettu open to the sea and the sea water flows have created a channel used by the boats to reach the harbor of Sant’Antioco. Punta Trettu is a perfect spot for kitesurfing due to the shallow and flat water, and steady winds: riders can kite and when needed can stand up and walk for hundreds meters. Punta Trettu is a perfect kite spot in particular for beginners, that can learn to kitesurf in a safe kite spot with shallow and flat water, and for freestylers, that can try the tricks in flat water conditions.
As already said, the main characteristic of Punta Trettu Kite Beach are the shallow water, the flat water (also in case of strong winds), the steday blowing winds, the sandy bottom, the clear sea water. Although in Punta Trettu there are pratically no swimmers because of the shallow water and the dense vegetation, Kitesurfing is allowed in two (2) kite zones. Kitesurfing is not allowed in other areas, included the beach in front of the harbor. People that will kitesurf out of the allowed kite zones may be incur into a fine the police and Coast Guard Coast.
Launch of kites is allowed only at Punta Trettu Kite Beach.
The Two Kite Zones of Punta Trettu where Kitesurfing is allowed are:
- one area dedicated to the official kite schools of Punta Trettu.
- one area dedicated to the independent riders (intermediate or advanced) that do not need kite lessons (in this area the water is not always shallow).
The Zones of Punta Trettu where Kitesurfing is not allowed are:
- The boat channel used by boats to reach and to leave Sat’Antioco.
- The zones of Punta Trettu dedicated to the fishermen where fishermen’s nets are often installed.
To well understand the Kite Zones of Punta Trettu, have a look to the picture and to the video below.
The best winds for kitesurfing in Punta Trettu are the Mistral (blowing from North-West) and the Scirocco (blowing from South-East). Even winds from South, West or South West could be enough good if they are strong.
To check the weather and the wind forecasts in Punta Trettu,you can have a look at the following Weather forecast services:
Punta Trettu is the best Kite Spot of Sardinia , perfect also for beginners because the flat and shallow water. In this kite paradise there are some kite centers that offer their services. Also our Kiteschool has a kite center here that offers kitesurfing lessons and other services. Our kite center in Punta Trettu is the Punta Trettu Kitesurf Center Sardinia and here you could find everything you need for Kitesurfing and to enjoy other sports like Windsurf, SUP, Surf, Mountain Bike, Beach Volley. it is “free entrance” (no cards needed) and you can meet and relax with other people enjoying drinks, snacks and foods at our Cafè and Lounge Bar, and swimming pool. At the Center you have also the possibility to book private bedrooms with private bathroom, if you wish to stay in Punta Trettu for some days.
Main services at out Punta Trettu Kite Center Sardinia are:
- B&B: if you like to stay overnight, we have lovely rooms, each one with its private bathroom and terrace
- Kite Café (Food & Drink): we offer a wide range of typical food and drink to accomodate all taste buds and give you that extra kick of energybefore and after the kitesurfing
- Free parking
- Free parking for caravan and camper
- Official North Kiteboarding and Mystic Kite School
- Official VDWS kite School
- Shop:: on our shop you can find everything you need to kitesurf including our sponsor brands North Kiteboarding and Mystic
- Info point
- Relax area with swimming pool: your loved ones can relax by the pool while you have fun kitesurfing
- Free Internet Wi-Fi
- Kite equipment washing area
- Hot showers
- Toilets and changing room
- Equipment rental
- Assistance and rescue services
- Kite Repair
- Stone barbecue (BBQ)
From Cagliari, get the S.S. 130 to Carbonia, then continue to Matzaccara and finally to Punta Trettu.
Here under, the coordinates of the main places of Punta Trettu.
- Punta Trettu Parking: 39.118079, 8.439772
- Punta Trettu Kite Beach: 39.112367, 8.437019
- Punta Trettu Kite Center Sardinia: 39.118725, 8.445074
Although Punta Trettu remains perhaps the best Sardinia kitesurfing spot for beginners, in the South West of Sardinia, there are other kitesurfing Spots:
- The Kite Spots in the Sant’Antioco’s island, pratically all for expert riders.
- The Kite Spot of Porto Botte, great with the wind of Mistral that blows side onshore and create a choppy water.
- The Kite Spot of Funtanamare, a very good wave spot.
- The Kite Spot of Porto PIno beach, a really beautiful beach where the winds are almost always gusty.