Sant’Antioco is the name boath of an island and of a city in the south west of Sardinia. The city of Sant’Antioco is the largest city of the Island of Sant’Antioco (the other city is Calasetta). The Island of Sant’Antioco is the largest island of Sardinia. In the Island of Sant’Antioco there are some kite-spots, almost all wave kite-spots. That is why, Kitesurfing Sant’Antioco is recommende to expert riders only.
On this page you can find information on:
- Kitesurfing Sant’Antioco: description of the kite spot.
- Kitesurfing Lessons in Sant’Antioco, Sardinia.
- Directions to Sant’Antioco.
- Kite spots near Sant’Antioco.
- Kite Spot Name: Spiaggia Grande, Coequaddus, Maresciallo (Sant’Antioco Island).
- Location: Municipality of Sant’Antioco and Municipality of Calasetta, Province of Cagliari, South Sardinia.
- Kite Spot Type: Sandy – Rocky, Choppy – Wave.
- Minimum Required Level: intermediate / advanced.
- Best winds: Mistral (NW) at Spiaggia Grande – Ponente (W) at Spiaggia Grande and Maresciallo – Scirocco (SE) at Coequeddus.
- Wind for waves: Mistral (NW) / Ponente (W) / Libeccio (SW) at Spiaggia Grande and Maresciallo, Scirocco (SE) at Coequeddus.
- Water temperature 15 °C (winter) – 25 °C (summer).
- Wind range 12 – 40 knots.
- Facilities: parking.
- Things to do: kitesurfing.
- Distance from the centre of Cagliari: 90 – 100 Km.
- Distance from parking: <1 min.
In Sant’Antioco there are many spots for kitesurfing.
The most famous kite-spots in the island of Sant’Antioco are Spiaggia Grande, Coequaddus and the Maresciallo.
Those kite-spots are usually choppy or with waves and, for these reasons, recommended to expert riders only. The beginners that like to learn to kitesurf or people that like to improve their kite-level , shall move to the near kite spot of Punta Trettu.
In Sant’Antioco you can kitesurf only from September to May (winter season) because during the summer season the beaches are very crowded.
Kitesurf at Spiaggia Grande kite-spot
Spiaggia Grande is the largest beach in the Municipality of Calasetta. It is located about 3 km from the town of Calasetta and about 14 km from the town of Sant’Antioco. Spiaggia Grande is about 1 km large. It has fine sand, with uncontaminated seabed.
Spiaggia Grande is a wave spot great for kitesurfing during the winter Season with the wind of Mistral (NW), Ponente (W), Libeccio (SW).
On both sides, the bay closes with cliffs overlooking the sea. Small rocky shoals are present on the surface of the water. For this reason, and for the fact that the waves almost always exceed 2 meters (up to a maximum of 4 m), this kite spot is recommend only to really expert riders.. That is why, Kitesurf in Spiaggia Grande is recommended only to advanced kiters.
Kitesurf at Maresciallo kite-spot
On the cliff to the right of Spiaggia Grande, there is the famous la secca del Maresciallo (the “Marshal’s dry”). In this kite spot the waves, that can reach 5 meters, frighten directly on the rocks, sharpened as blades.
Here at Maresciallo the best wind is Mistral (NW) after Libeccio (W). For Kitesurfing at Maresciallo Kite Spot, you have to launch the kite from Spiaggia Grande and then go upwind till the spot. Be careful that close to the coast the wind is really gusty.
This spot is just for Pro and for riders who want to really experience strong emotions!
Kitesurf at Coequaddus Kite Spot
Coequaddus beach is probably the most beautiful beach of the island of Sant’Antioco, The beach, surrounded by a thick Mediterranean vegetation, still preserves the wild air typical of many areas of Sardinia. The sand is not particularly thin or clear, rather the colors and the reflections of the sea water are fantastic, with shades of green to turquoise, and a shallow water.
Located on south-east of the island of Sant’ Antioco, Coequaddus beach is a wave spot with Levante (E) and Scirocco (SE). For this reason, Kitesurf in Coaequaddus is recommended only to medium and advanced kiters.
In Sant’Antioco is very hard to have kitesurfing Lessons. The best suggestion for the beginners and for people that like to Learn to Kitesurf in Sardinia is to go to the nearby kite spot of Punta Trettu.
How to reach Spiaggia Grande
From Cagliari get the S.S. 130 to Carbonia then continue to San’Antioco. Once in Sant’Antioco, follow the road signs to Calasetta; in this way, you will find many signs for Spiaggia Grande.
How to reach Coequaddus Beach
From Cagliari get the S.S. 130 to Carbonia then continue to Sant’Antioco. Once in Sant’Antioco, follow the road signs to Maladroxia-Coequaddus.
It is located some 87 kilometres (54 mi) from Cagliari, to which is connected through the SS126 state road, using a bridge.
Near Sant’Antioco there are the following Kite Spots of Sardinia:
- The Kite Spot of Punta Trettu, perhaps one of the best kite spot of Europe.
- The Kite Spot of Porto Botte.
- The Kite Spot of Porto Pino beach, a really beautiful beach but with almost always gusty winds.
- The Kite Spot of Funtanamare, very good wave spot.